History and My Story of Valentine’s Day



The saying of “Give and Take Take and Give” was running wild in my mind as I dig deep my pocket. First, I received money from the red packets given during the Chinese New Year. Then, I get to hold the cash for a few blinks before the money is channeled to my V-day celebration.

Celebrating Valentine’s Day is not an issue to me and my partner, but I just need to know how this day comes about and the reason why we celebrate it.

There is a story behind it.

It came from ancient Rome, and began when a cruel emperor who was so desperate for Roman men to join his military leagues. Instead of finding ways to attract soldier boys, he thought to himself and canceled all the marriages and engagements in the country. All this was based on a reason – it was hard for men to leave their love ones to the battlefield.

As rules are meant to be broken, young couples went for secret wedding to go against it. Thanks to a good priest like Saint Valentine, they have someone to perform marriage for them.

The Emperor got to know about it later and put Valentine behind bars. He was sentenced to be beaten to death and have his head chopped off.

But while in prison, Valentine fell in love with a jailor's daughter, who visited him during his confinement. Before his death on the 14th day of February, it is alleged that he wrote her a letter, which he signed "From your Valentine". In 496 A.D., Pope Gelasius set aside February 14 to honor St. Valentine.

Sad case, now I know we are actually celebrating the death of Valentine.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Happy Valentine's Day!

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: